Click here for PDF with additional details on event.
This ½ day workshop is designed for parents, adult consumers and family members. It will feature internationally recognized cochlear implant scientists and clinicians who will share and engage on up-to-date research and clinical experience in an accessible manner via presentations, panels, and question and answer sessions on timely topics including:
· Why do children and adults with some usable hearing benefit from cochlear implants?
· Do cochlear implant recipients lose their remaining hearing?
· Should I wait to receive a cochlear implant until I receive less benefit from hearing aids?
· What changes have been made in the design of cochlear implants and how has this benefitted users?
· What (re)habilitation should we pursue after cochlear implant surgery for an adult or child to maximize outcomes?
The workshop will include an exhibit area that will feature companies that manufacture cochlear implants and other hearing technologies, service providers, and nonprofit organizations that support people with hearing loss.
12:30 Exhibits Open
1:00 Advancements in cochlear implant technology: Expanding the opportunity for children and adults to hear
2:00 Ask me anything: Pose the questions you’ve always wanted to ask of a CI surgeon or audiologist
2:20 Break with Exhibitors
2:45 Concurrent Sessions Focused on (Re)Habilitation: Adult Session and Parent Session
4:15 Extra Time with Exhibitors
Exhibits will open at 12:30 and feature companies that manufacture cochlear implants and other hearing technologies, service and resource providers, and nonprofit organizations that support people with hearing loss.
The pediatric habilitation segment will be offered by Hearing First, a unique national resource that provides training and materials to guide parents in helping their children with hearing loss learn to listen and talk, become healthy readers, and do well in school.
Real-Time Computer Assisted Captioning (CART) will be provided.