ADULT COCHLEAR IMPLANT REHABILITATION
American Cochlear Implant Alliance offers an auditory rehabilitation resource, ACI Alliance Blog: Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation for Adults.
Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation for Adults, a blog offered by American Cochlear Implant Alliance, was launched in January 2016. It was initiated because of the scarcity of high-quality rehab guidance materials and direct rehab services available for adult CI recipients. Although adults comprise at least two-thirds of US cochlear implant users, the focus of (re)habilitation post CI surgery, has traditionally been on children. I was asked by ACI Alliance to organize the adult blog, write content, and facilitate submissions by others. With my 20 years of experience in working with adults and children with cochlear implants, I happily accepted the task of supporting adult CI recipients in their fascinating and challenging journey. Click here to read more about the blog.
Blog entries discuss the following topics:
- Welcome/Naama's Background
- Why Adult Rehabilitation is Important
- The Hearing Assessment
- Constructive Communication
- Listening to the Sounds Around You
- Self Learning Tips: Part I
- Self Learning Tips: Part II
- Unilateral Hearing
- Adult CI Support Groups: Part I
- Adult CI Support Groups: Part II
- Emotional Impact of Cochlear Implantation
- Quality of Life Improvement
- A Retrospective Look at Cochlear Implantation in Adults with Prelingual Hearing Loss
- A Retrospective Look at Cochlear Implantation in Older Children with Prelingual Hearing Loss
- Cochlear Implantation for Adults with Prelingual Deafness
- Cochlear Implants and Adults with Congenital Hearing Loss
- What’s Old is New Again if We’re Lucky
- Music Appreciation Following Cochlear Implantation
- A First Anniversary Blog Post
- Home Practice Tools: How to Build your Own Auditory Training Word List
- Auditory Training Using Your Own Word Lists Can Be Fun!
- Assistive Listening Devices for Cochlear Implants
- Can you "fail the test” and still be a successful CI user?
- How to Begin Talking on the Telephone with Your Cochlear Implant
- Audio Books as a Home Practice Tool
- You’ve been asked to be a personal auditory trainer. What do you need to know?
- Listening Effort and Fatigue: Part 1
- Listening Effort and Fatigue: Part 2
- A Young Adult's Perspective
- An Octogenarian's CI Journey
- Listening to Songs with a Cochlear Implant
- The Challenge of Adults for Learning to Listen
- Hearing People Can Be So Mean
- Adult Cochlear Implant Use During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Tips for People Who Converse with CI Recipients on the Telephone
- Auditory adjustment, spontaneous auditory learning, and auditory rehabilitation following CI
- Do individuals who experience deafness during early childhood benefit from cochlear implantation as adults?
The Blog is intended as both a patient and a professional resource. The attached printable brochure may be used to refer adults and family members who may benefit. Please click HERE to download a printable resource.